Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy backed manager Martin Jol at the third attempt on Thursday, saying the Dutchman had his "100 percent" support.
Following a storm of speculation, Spurs have issued two statements on Jol's position in recent days - and neither of them stated the board actually backed their coach.
The north London club also denied they had offered Jol's job to Sevilla coach Juande Ramos who, following speculation, insisted they had made him a "dizzying" offer to move to White Hart Lane.
"It has not been the best few days but you have got to put it into the context of six years of progress and as far as I am concerned the whole matter is behind us now," Levy said.
"Martin and I have all the confidence that we can move this club forward again."
The Tottenham chairman also insisted they had not formally offered Jol's post to anyone else.
"No-one has been offered a job either now or in the preceding nearly three years that Martin has been manager," he said.
"Martin has my 100 percent support.
"No change would be made on the basis of two or three results and I have every confidence that no change will be required and Martin will continue to bring us success."
Jol was hauled in for talks earlier this week, at which Levy spelled out the board's expectations - to secure Champions League football for next season.
However, he said Thursday that did not mean Jol would be axed if Spurs fail to qualify for Europe's premier competition by breaking into the Premier League's top four.
"We had a very open meeting and I think it was long overdue on a number of issues that we needed to bring out into the open. Following that meeting I think we are stronger and we're both going in the same direction.
"We both want success and Martin has assured me that I've got his 100 percent commitment, and I've given it to him.
"What Martin has said and what I have said is that we need to aim to be in the top four. I very much hope that we will be there and he believes he has got the squad, but obviously there can be no guarantees."
Levy denied Spurs were now saddled with an under-pressure and unsettled manager for the rest of the season.
"I don't think this is the case and I have just had a conversation with our captain Ledley King about everything.
"As a result of what has happened in the last few days, both the players, Martin, the coaching staff and the board, all feel we will be stronger for it."
He said he did not feel the turmoil would deter potential new players from signing for Spurs before the transfer window closes at the end of August.
"I don't think this would have any bearing whatsoever should we wish to bring anyone else in," Levy said.
"At the present time though, following my conversations with Martin, we both feel we have a squad that is capable of mounting a challenge for the top four. On the other hand, should a great opportunity arise, we would definitely consider it."
0 comments:
Post a Comment