First of all Frank, many thanks for taking the time to talk to espnstar.com. I should start by asking if you miss playing because you certainly seemed to enjoy being a pundit for ESPN STAR Sports?

In all honesty, I’d have to say that I really would prefer to be involved in the game, but being a pundit is probably the closest thing there is to it. Being involved in the media side of things does at least mean that you get to go to the grounds and that you get to see a game.

If I had to put it all in order of priority, well, there’s simply nothing that beats being involved in football. The best thing is to be playing the game, then comes being a coach and then the media stuff which I am doing at the moment.

Relatively speaking, you didn't hang up your boots all that long ago, do you think the beautiful game has changed since you retired?

There's a lot more pressure these days than when I was playing, then again they are being paid a lot more than we were so, in a way, that pressure comes with the territory.

Also, the media attention is now huge. Alright, the English leagues have always been well covered, but because of the immense interest, the players we see nowadays are more like film stars than they are professional footballers. We were always on a certain level, but film stars and so on were always higher in terms of profile.

Do you think that’s a good thing?

I really do think that some of the footballers get over-hyped at times. For example take David Beckham and Paul Scholes – two guys at different ends of the footballing spectrum. One (Beckham) revels in the publicity, whilst the other (Scholes) shies away from it, that’s the difference nowadays. Having said that, I know which I would rather have in my side and that’s the one still playing for Manchester United!

In your playing days Frank, you achieved legend status at both Arsenal and Manchester United. Do you look back and remember one stint more fondly than the other?

No I don’t really because the two clubs were, and still are, massive clubs. I went as a 16-year-old to Arsenal, spent nine years at Highbury and then went to Manchester United, the two are absolutely enormous in every way. In my mind there is a no real difference between them both, I really can’t separate the two as I had great times with Arsenal and United.

Did making the move to United in 1981 for a fee of nearly one million pounds (US$2 million) heap more stresses and strains on to your shoulders?

You know, I never really had a problem with joining a massive club like United because I’d been at a club like Arsenal. People always say about the size of the transfer fee, but it never bothered me, as it was the clubs who had agreed the deal.

All I could do was go and do at United exactly what I had been doing at Arsenal. I probably developed more at Old Trafford but at the same time I really didn’t find that the pressure was too much.

As you said you were a youngster when you joined the Gunners although, in a reasonably short space of time, you could be seen leading the line with Malcolm McDonald, another Arsenal great. Was he one of the best players you ever plied your trade with?

Malcolm was probably one of the greatest goalscorers I’ve played with but I don’t think he was one of the best players. He didn’t have the all-round game but he was as brave as a lion. Basically though, when he wasn’t scoring goals he wasn’t too much of an asset – it’s something he would admit himself as well.

Okay then, who was the best you played with?

That has to be Liam Brady, who I also played with for the Republic of Ireland. He created a lot of the goals that I scored. With Liam you knew when he was going to make a pass, I had a real understanding with him.

I played with Liam at youth level, I knew that I didn’t need to shout for the ball and that he would just play the pass. It was an understanding that just evolved over time. He went on to become one of Arsenal’s greatest ever players, he was an absolute talent.

Funnily enough though that understanding wasn’t always understood by other players. I remember that on my international debut against Turkey in 1976, I was expecting Liam to take a third minute free-kick. However, I’d stepped back because he’d done the same.

In a flash, Johnny Giles shouted for me to make a move. I ran forward, beat the defender to the ball and scored with one of my first touches. Johnny was definitely not impressed because he’d had to tell me to make a move. Thankfully, Liam stuck up for me!

You clearly played with some true stars Frank, on the honours front though, what stands out for you?

It’s a good question. Internationally, for some time, Ireland never looked as if we were going to qualify for any of the major tournaments despite having, throughout the 1980’s, a very talented bunch of lads. Then we did make it, and going to the 1988 European Championship in Germany as captain of my country was a great experience.

We beat England in our first game which was huge, because we had been written off before the game with many people predicting that we wouldn’t get any points. We then drew with Russia when we should easily have beaten them, before losing to the Dutch, but looking back and we can see that the Irish momentum which started then carried went on through to the next two World Cups in 1990 and 1994.

Is it fair to say that the world now looks at the Republic in a different light thanks to what you achieved back in 1988?

To be honest, over the last few years, it has put more pressure on the managers we have had. There are some supporters of the Republic national team who, if they were born in 1980’s have only known success and, as results have then started to slip, they have become more and more frustrated. At times the country has been a victim of its own success.

And what about the highlights during your time with Arsenal and United?

At club level, I have to say that the three FA Cup finals I won were superb, although the biggest game I ever played in was a 1984 European Cup Winners’ Cup game, when United came back from being 2-0 down after the first leg to beat Barcelona.

I scored in a 3-0 win at Old Trafford where the atmosphere, the occasion, everything was terrific. We eventually got knocked out on the semis but ask any United supporter which was their favourite game and a lot will say that game against Barcelona.

Do you enjoy going back to Old Trafford and now The Emirates?

Yes it's always good to go back. The Emirates is a great place and at Old Trafford I often help out with the corporate entertainment. I still really enjoy the atmosphere and get a real buzz when I go back. Both clubs are still very special to me.

In a week that had several countries locking horns internationally and as someone who always insisted on playing for your country, what do you make of the modern day footballers who prefer to steer clear of internationals?

I had it in my contract that I was to be released whenever my country was playing, you have to because managers are always looking for excuses to keep you back.

I think FIFA should get involved and make a ruling on the whole thing. They are, after all the governing body and if they make a ruling on the situation then there’s no conflict between the club and the player. That’s what FIFA are there for after all.

Finally Frank, as you know United have made a poor start to their season. Will they cope with the criticism that is coming their way?

The pressure to succeed at United is always there and not everyone who goes there can deal with that. It’s not a physical thing, it’s a mental pressure, it’s very much to with the pressure of expectation that exists and the ability to deliver the goods week in, week out.

Despite having only drawn two and lost one so far this season, the United fans will still not be overly critical but they will remain expectant. What happened last season has only spoilt them more. The most important thing though is that Sir Alex won’t panic and I can definitely see them getting through this difficult patch. - espnstar.com

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home