Terry thinks England not Chelsea

John Terry insists he is fully focussed on helping England beat Spain and refuses to think about Chelsea matters.

Terry was informed of Scolari's Stamford Bridge departure just hours before the England squad left for Seville yesterday.

And he has spent the day trying to digest that news, and confirmation Guus Hiddink is set to take over as part-time boss for the remainder of the season.

England coach Fabio Capello has spoken with Terry today to ensure his key centre-half is in the right frame of mind to take up his usual position at the heart of the Three Lions defence.

And Terry is determined not to let any distractions get in the way of helping England overcome the Euro 2008 winners.

"What's happening back home is at the back of my mind but I am focusing on the game ahead," said Terry.

"It is a bit of a relief to get away for a couple of days because my main concern should now be England.

"The manager has stressed he wants everyone focused on the game ahead. I want to put in a good performance personally and hopefully the squad can do the same."

Such is Capello's high regard for Terry, he did not need to pull him to one side this morning.

However, as speculation continues to swirl around Chelsea, the Italian thought it was better to re-assure himself.

"We spoke but I am sure John Terry will be okay because the England shirt is very important to him," said Capello.

"He is the captain and his position is important."

Hiddink, who has admitted talks have taken place with Chelsea, will not be in charge of the Stamford Bridge club in time for their FA Cup fifth round tie against Watford this weekend.

The Dutchman has started negotiations with Chelsea over taking charge of the team until the end of the season but any deal will not be struck in time for Saturday's trip to Vicarage Road.

The Russia manager insists he will not give up his job with the national side so if he is to accept any offer from Chelsea it will mean combining both roles - something he has done in the past with Australia and PSV Eindhoven.

The Russian Football Union have given their backing for discussions to take place but Hiddink maintains it is too early yet to say for certain that a deal will be done.

"I want to say officially that there has been absolutely no talk of me leaving the Russian national team," Hiddink told Sport Express.

"I will stay and continue working with a team I feel very comfortable and at ease with."

And when asked if he could combine both high-profile jobs, Hiddink replied: "You correctly use the word "if".

"I can't rule out that option but it is at the stage of being examined. If everything is organised properly a move to London could happen. I'll be able to give you a final answer in a few days."

But the Dutchman ruled out becoming Chelsea's new boss before the weekend.

"No, that's not likely to happen," he added. " I don't think things will be decided that quickly."

As manager of one of the biggest national teams, Capello finds it difficult to believe he could combine it with a top club job as Hiddink would have to do.

He is certainly glad the decision is not his to make, because the answer would be no.

"It is not my problem," he sighed.

"I know he did it before with Australia and PSV. I prefer to think about one job, not two."

Clearly Hiddink does not believe it is impossible.

But Capello feels you require contrasting character traits to excel in each position, highlighting the obvious differences between management at club and international level.

"They are two completely different jobs," said the Italian.

"As a club manager you coach every day and you can change the style in a very short space of time. You can speak with the players about problems.

"With the national team it is different. I meet the players every 45 days. If you want to change a lot of things, you only have a very short time to work.

"In that situation, the character of the coach is very important.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home