The clamour for Martin O'Neill to become the new England coach is increasing with each victory and will reach deafening proportions if Aston Villa can finally end Arsenal's unbeaten start to the Premier League season.
O'Neill has moved swiftly to dismiss the notion that he will become the successor to Steve McClaren but as his burgeoning Villa team continue to improve the much maligned Football Association look more certain to plead with the Ulsterman to reconsider.
Villa have won their last four matches to move into a UEFA Cup place and a victory over Arsenal here on Saturday will take them to only three points behind Arsene Wenger's aristocrats.
Their 4-0 midweek win against Blackburn Rovers has only enhanced O'Neill's reputation across the country but, as with the England job, he is determined to quell any expectation.
"We've done nothing yet," he said. "I don't see it as a problem keeping people's feet on the ground.
"We got off to a decent start last season, and I accept we've got a lot more resilience now and we're a better team.
"But knowing the size of our squad we need to keep the players fit and, touch wood, they have been a bit lucky in that department.
"We've got a long way to go between now and January."
O'Neill's impressive start to the campaign will be tested to the limit by the Gunners, who currently top the table and are three points ahead of bitter rivals Manchester United.
Arsenal's attempts to inflict Villa's first defeat in six games will be spearheaded by Emmanuel Adebayor, who has assured the Gunners he has no plans to quit the north London club.
He said: "At this moment I am very happy in London and very proud about myself as I have settled well here. I enjoy my life in London.
"Before the season started when I was on holiday, I told myself that I should improve on the way I score goals. Even though I didn't play badly last season, I missed some scoring opportunities.
"So I resolved to score more goals and enjoy myself on the pitch. I am now very happy with my form and the way I have learnt from my previous mistakes.
"In football, you can never give an assurance. I have a very good contract, good money and the life in London is absolutely fantastic.
"But who knows? If Real Madrid comes with an offer of 100 million pounds (200 million dollars), Arsenal might be tempted to sell me. If Wenger tells me to go, I cannot fight to stay."
The Gunners, looking to bounce back from Tuesday's 3-1 Champions League loss to Sevilla - their first defeat in any competition this season -, could be without Cesc Fabregas after he sustained a hamstring injury in Spain.
Meanwhile while Dutch international striker Robin van Persie again looks set to be sidelined as he continues his recovery from a knee injury.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home